Wednesday, October 23, 2013

African Trail; A Glimpse of Uganda and Kenya



I had a chance to travel to Africa when I received an invitation from my sister to go for a mission.  It was a great opportunity to travel with purpose. I filed 10 days leave and traveled to Uganda and Kenya. I stayed in Uganda for 6 days but most of the time was allocated for mission works. It was in Kenya where I had enough time tour around.

 While in Nairobi, Kenyan friends suggested to visit Elephant Orphanage where you can find baby elephants ages 8 to 24 months.  These baby elephants are orphans of parents being slayed because of human selfishness. Adult elephants are killed because of their tusks which are being sold to make ornaments and other stuffs made of ivory.  Great news about it, tourists have an option to adopt one baby elephant for US$50 that will secure their meal for a year.

Second stop was Giraffe Centre where I saw one flock of 14 giraffes.  What an amazing opportunity to touch and feed them. 

Third stop was, Nairobi National Park where I had a chance to dance with the “Maasai”.  Maasai are a Nilotic ethnic group of semi-nomadic people located in Kenya and northern Tanzania. They are among the best known of African ethnic groups, due to their residence near the many game parks of East Africa, and their distinctive customs and dress.  

Walking farther around the park was Nairobi’s Safari Walk and in the corner was another animal orphanage was our last stop.  It was in this park where in less than 3 meters tourists like me can see and hear loud roars of lions (King of the Jungle) found and saved from different areas in Kenya.

This travel allowed me to see another wonders of the world in a different perspective ~ found and experienced quite unique from the way of urban life of UAE.  It was in Uganda where I tasted the sweetest pineapples and cabbages. 

Above all, the best part of this trip was the chance to be with the lovely people both in Uganda and Kenya.  It was their warmth and great accommodation that carved in my heart to look forward  and discover the vast beauty African continent.  Insha’Allah (God willing) and given the chance, next year it will be in Tanzania or Zimbabwe.  

Thank You Heavenly Father for the opportunity!




No comments:

Post a Comment