Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas in our Hearts

This is my 5th Christmas away from home.  2008 when I came to UAE for greener pasture, I was very young then and first time to be away home. I reached home from my afternoon shift and noticed our flat was so dark and nobody was home. That time I cried and called my sister who was also working that day until 11PM. It was my saddest Christmas so far. When she reached home, we went out to have dinner. My first ever Christmas in a high-end restaurant.

The following year, I already celebrated my Christmas in one of my friends house. It was a night full of fun, singing karaoke, games and sumptuous foods. Then it became a tradition with my group of friends to celebrate Christmas together. In 2010 we even celebrated it in park.

2012 came when I joined my current company, I am working in outskirts area of Abu Dhabi. A place where there are lots of prohibition, no camera phones, internet and pork.  I am always the lucky guy because 2 years in a row, I was on shift in Christmas eve. Last year in our barracks, we contributed 20 dhs to buy pansit(noodles) and pandesal (bread) just to have a small gathering but this year nobody initiated. It was first time in my 27 years of existence that I slept early on Christmas eve. I slept around 9 PM. I woke up early on 25th thanking the LORD for the new day and a reminder for us of His coming. I read the scriptures and reflected on it. Christmas is not just about celebration with foods, parties and all but a celebration of accepting Christ in our lives. Opening our hearts and allowing Him to dwell on it.

When I wrote this, I was teary-eyed for my so many reasons. I miss the way I grew up and celebrated Christmas back home with my family. I miss going to church with them. I miss everything how we celebrated Christmas in Philippines. I was also teary-eyed because today is the day that Lord reminds us of his unfailing love and mercy. He sent His only begotten son to be with us. I then told myself Christmas should not just be celebrated every 25th of December but everyday. Everyday we should remember that God is knocking in our hearts asking us to allow Jesus to dwell. Allow Him to work in us and be like Him not just this season but everyday.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment